Mental Health and Young People
Many aspects of today’s society can be bad news for the mental health of children and young people in the UK. As they grow and develop, children have to navigate a complex and ever changing world, facing challenges and pressures in numerous aspects of their lives:
- Family breakdown is widespread.
- There is so much pressure to have access to money, the latest toy or gadget and perfect lifestyle.
- Materialist culture heavily influences young people
- 24 hour social networking and what young people can access from a young age can have a negative impact on their mental health and wellbeing
- Body image is a source of much distress for many young people.
- Statistics show that bullying on and offline is rife.
- Violence is rife in many communities and fear of crime a constant source of distress for thousands of young people.