1. Read and listen to a poem
- Read The Sound Collector. What do you notice about the poem? Which line do you think is most memorable?
- Listen to Roger McGough (the poet) read the poem. What do you notice new when you hear the poem read?
2. Make notes about the sounds in your house
- Be very quiet and try to listen to the sounds in your house for 2-3 minutes. Listen for sounds coming from outside too.
- What might you hear at different times of the day?
- Early in the morning?
- In the evening?
- Late at night?
- Think about how to describe these sounds and note them down.
3. Write a poem about the sounds in your house
- Use 'Planning a Poem' to help you to write a poem about the sounds in your house.
- Practise reading your poem out loud.
- Change any parts that don’t sound right to you.